Tips & Restrictions
The Georgia Water Stewardship Act went into effect statewide on Wednesday, June 2, 2010. It allows daily outdoor watering for planting, growing, managing or maintaining ground cover, trees, shrubs or other plants only between the hours of 4 p.m. and 10 a.m. by any customer of Rockdale Water Resources.
The following outdoor water uses also are allowed daily at any time of the day by anyone:
- Commercial agricultural operations as defined in Code Section 1-3-3
- Capture and reuse of cooling system condensate or storm water in compliance with applicable local ordinances and state guidelines
- Reuse of gray water in compliance with Code Section 31-3-5.2 and applicable local board of health regulations adopted pursuant there to
- Use of reclaimed waste water by a designated user from a system permitted by the Environmental Protection Division of the department to provide reclaimed waste water
- Irrigation of personal food gardens
- Irrigation of new or replanted plant, seed, or turf in landscapes, golf courses or sports turf fields during installation and for a period of 30 days immediately following the date of installation
- Drip irrigation or irrigation using soaker hoses
- Handwatering with a hose with automatic cutoff or handheld container
- Use of water withdrawn from private water wells or surface water by an owner or operator of property if such well or surface water is on said property
- Irrigation of horticultural crops held for sale, resale or installation
- Irrigations of athletic fields, golf courses or public turf grass recreational areas
- Installation, maintenance or calibration of irrigation systems; or Hydroseeding
Outdoor water use for any purposes other than watering of plants, such as power washing or washing cars, is still restricted to the current odd/even watering schedule.
- Odd-numbered addresses can water on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays
- Even-numbered and unnumbered addresses are allowed to water on Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays
Additional information may obtained or questions answered on outdoor watering restrictions by contacting Rockdale Water Resources Customer Service Division at 770-278-7400. Please check the website periodically for updates.
When Best To Water:
- Don’t water unless your grass tell you it needs it. Water your lawn when grass starts to show a grayish color or if you walk across the lawn and the blades of grass don’t spring back up right away.
- Water after 10:00 pm or before 8:00 am.
- Don’t water daily. This will produce a shallow root system which makes the grass less drought resistant.
Visit the University of Georgia drought website for more information about helping your landscape make it through the extreme summers: www.georgiadrought.org , visit www.rockdalecounty.org or www.gaepd.org for updated information.