The Chairman called the May 11 Voting Session to order. Following the invocation by Pastor Michael Patterson of Faith Tabernacle, the Public Relations Department shared another episode of Black History in Rockdale – Black Property Owners. After this presentation, the Board moved to act on agenda items.
The BOC acted on the several items on the agenda including:
- Unfinished Business: Approved the second read and adopted an ordinance amending the code for Rockdale County by providing for the abolishing of certain departments, the creation of certain departments, the consolidation of certain department and certain sections of the Code of Rockdale County
Approved items on the Consent Agenda including:
- A change order for the CARES Act Grant for the department of General Services/Senior Services
- A contract ratification for Cone Productions LLC to Film Legacies/Season 3 at Costley Mill
- A memorandum of understanding between Rockdale County Board of Education and RDOT for the construction of 10-foot Multi-Use trail on property at Heritage High School on Granade Road. – Reimbursement not to exceed amount of $99,100 from BOE
- Change order to a contract with Computer Software Incorporated for Planning & Development for software and license and services hosting for Magnet. This will include self-service portal integration.
- The appointment of new Public Relations Director, Joe Gumm
- A change order for the RESHAPE Grant – the acknowledgement our authorization for County to enter into a contract with the Department of Human Services
- Ratification to a contract with DISYS Solutions, Inc. for Technology Services to upgrade the County’s Data Center
The board then heard public comment which also included Director and Commissioner comments regarding tax assessments, taxes within the County and all 3 governing entities (Rockdale County, the City of Conyers and Rockdale County Public Schools. There was also brief discussion about the stormwater fee appearing on the tax bill.
Commissioner Sherri Washington discussed how she enjoyed Mother’s Day and sent well wishes to all the mothers. She also announced that the Conyers Rockdale Economic Development Council has a new president and CEO who will start on June 1, 2021. She shared information about his credentials and work history, as well as her excitement to have him on the team.
Chairman Oz Nesbitt shared his appreciation for the County departments and volunteers for their efforts at the Countywide Cleanup. The Public Relations Department shared a recap video. Following this, he urged members of the community if they see something, say something though the County’s See Something, Say Something Campaign. He also made comments about the Colonial Pipeline and the gas shortage due to a cyber-attack. The Chairman assured the public that things would be restored and there is no need for a panic. Chairman Nesbitt then called Mr. John Allen to the podium to make comments. Mr. Allen shared he brought his son so he could learn more about how government operates. Chairman Nesbitt also called Director Sue Sanders to the Podium to share information about the Citizen’s Government Academy. Those seeking more information about the program can call 770-278-7549 or email email@example.com.
Following these remarks, with no need for Executive Session, the meeting was adjourned.
Work Session: Tuesday, May 18, 2021 – CANCELLED
Zoning Public Hearing: Tuesday, May 25, 2021 at 9:00 a.m. – In the Auditorium located at 903 Main Street, Conyers, Georgia 30012
Voting Session: Tuesday, May 25, 2021 at 10:00 a.m. – In the Auditorium located at 903 Main Street, Conyers, Georgia 30012
HOLIDAY: Monday, May 31, 2021 – Memorial Day Holiday – County Offices Closed
Check us out at www.rockdalecountyga.gov!
- • • Follow Rockdale County on Social Media! • • •
Instagram @rockdalegov • Facebook rockdalegov • Twitter @rockdalegov