Prior to the Board of Commissioners Meeting, a Zoning Public Hearing was held. The Commissioners heard items including:
- A request to by Corridor Development to amend the Future Land Use Map, regarding 13.02-acre portion of property south of Salem Gate Drive, to re-designate 0 Old Salem Rd SE, Conyers, GA 30094 from commercial to High Density Residential and rezone from General Commercial to Multi-family. This discussion encompassed proposed townhomes for the area. The Planning Commission recommend denial. Staff recommends approval with conditions of Zoning – the floor was then opened for this topic.
- A request to by Tiffany Hogan With D.R, Horton, Inc, regarding a 10.35-acre property at 1076 Honey Creek Rd SE, Conyers, 30013 to rezone from Agriculture Residential to Multi-Family Residential. The recommendation is to send it back to the Planning Commission for review.
After a brief recess, Chairman Nesbitt called the Board of Commissioners March 23, 2021 Virtual Voting Session to order.
Following the invocation by Water Resources Deputy Director Vaughn Jamison, the Public Relations Department shared another episode of Black History in Rockdale – Black Civic Life. After this presentation, the Board moved to act on agenda items.
The BOC acted on the following items from the agenda:
- The approval of the Animal Services Strategic Plan with amendments requested by the community.
- Approval of amendments to the Employee Pay and Classification Plan
- The approval of the Consent Agenda – follow the link to the previous summary for details.
- The ratification of the Severance Agreement and General Release for Jorge Diez, Former Director of Public Relations – 2 votes in favor and 1 vote opposed.
- The approval to appoint Mr. Terrence Simpkins as Director of Stormwater Management – the Board welcomed Mr. Simpkins and he made comments to the community sharing his excitement to begin his new role.
- The approval of the second reading of items regarding the development of the area of Gees Mill Road and Glenn Road.
- Approval of a Resolution to Reduce the Time for Filing an Application or Amendment to the Comprehensive Plan Land Use Map or Official Zoning Maps Affecting 1101 Johnson Road SW and 0 Johnson Road SW
The board then heard public comment from a member of the community regarding professional conduct.
Commissioner Sherri Washington shared how she has enjoyed seeing the Black History in Rockdale segments so far and she is looking forward to learning more. She also discussed the funds that Georgia and Rockdale County will be receiving from the Federal Government as a part of the American Rescue Plan. Commissioner Washington discussed a class she recently attended from ACCG that highlighted different personality styles and leadership styles and suggested that she was open possibly planning a retreat for the BOC to take a deeper look into each other’s leadership styles. This was a suggestion to strengthen their relationship as well as to help serve the citizens of Rockdale better.
Commissioner Doreen Williams also made comments to Commissioner Washington’s suggestions of a leadership training. She then discussed the revisions to the Rockdale County Ethics Board. She stated that the county needs to do an overall look at the Land Use map of the County as it relates to changes when developing areas in the county, so we are using the areas properly. She also mentioned she was very pleased that the Animal Services Strategic Plan was approved, and how it was good the community shared so much input. The whole process was an example of great leadership at the county level. She then made discussed the Resiliency Town Hall hosted the evening before. She suggested to everyone go watch the recording on facebook.com/RockdaleGov. Her final comments were about Women’s History Month where she highlighted her grandmother, her mother and American folk artist Laura Pope Forester as her figures.
Commissioner Washington interjected additional comments and shared her Women’s History Month figure which is Judge Maureen Wood.
Chairman Oz Nesbitt shared his figures for Women’s History Month who were his mother, his aunt, and his grandmother. He commented on their strength and the influence they had in his life. He also shared his wife as one of his figures who “taught him the power of patience”. The Chairman thanked both commissioners for their suggestions of a leadership retreat, and he is charging Chief Cabe to move forward with coordinating the commissioner’s schedules for planning the retreat. He then shared that he recently attended the funeral service of Ms. Gloria Armstead. She was a long-time resident in Rockdale, very active in the community and a part of the Citizens Progressive Club. He asked that we keep her family in prayer and thanked them for sharing her with the community. The Chairman then asked for comments from Chief Cabe and Director Rutledge.
Chief Cabe shared comments about the board entering recess and the date of the next meeting, and he also shared that the City of Conyers is holding the Conyers Cherry Blossom Festival this weekend.
Director Rutledge made comments about “Grab the Bill by the Horns” segment she hosts where she shares legislative updates with the community. She also reiterated that the Board will be going into recess and will meet again the 3rd Tuesday in April with a Work Session.
As a final comment, the Chairman wanted to remind the community that we are still in a pandemic and urged them to continue wearing mask, social distancing and washing their hands. Although the vaccine is available, he wants it to be clear the pandemic is still here, and not to let their guard down even though the weather is getting nicer.
Following these remarks, the meeting was adjourned.
Spring Meeting Recess: April 5, 2021 through April 16, 2021 – No Scheduled Board of Commissioners Meetings During This Time
Work Session: Tuesday, April 20, 2021 at 7:00 p.m. – VIRTUAL ONLY (Attendance is VIRTUAL ONLY. Any person wishing to speak during public comment is requested to register in advance by contacting the Rockdale County Department of Public Relations via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) by Monday, April 19, 2021 at 5:00 p.m.
Zoning Public Hearing: Tuesday, April 27, 2021 at 9:00 a.m. – VIRTUAL ONLY (Attendance is VIRTUAL ONLY, except for those that do not have a virtual option. Any person wishing to be heard at the Zoning Public Hearing is requested to register in advance by contacting the Rockdale County Department of Planning and Development at (770) 278-7100 by Monday, April 26, 2021 at 9:00 a.m.
Voting Session: Tuesday, April 27, 2021 at 10:00 a.m. – VIRTUAL ONLY (Attendance is VIRTUAL ONLY. Any person wishing to speak during public comment is requested to register in advance by contacting the Rockdale County Department of Public Relations via email (email@example.com) by Monday, April 26, 2021 at 5:00 p.m.
Check us out at www.rockdalecountyga.gov!
• • Follow Rockdale County on Social Media! • •
Instagram @rockdalegov • Facebook rockdalegov • Twitter @rockdalegov