The Rockdale County Board of Commissioners held a voting session on Tuesday, November 10, 2020, at the Rockdale Auditorium.
The meeting began with the invocation and Pledge of Allegiance by Pastor Kay Francis Smith or Excel Church Worldwide.
Following the pledge and invocation, Brenda Poku, Director of the Conyers-Rockdale Library and a library staff member gave a presentation sharing updates on items the library is working on including their new strategic plan, facilities, programs and accessibility.
Rockdale County Wellness and Talent Management shared a presentation about Tobacco Free Campus not allowing use of tobacco products on Rockdale County Campus and offering resources for employees to quit smoking – with the proposed roll out of January 1, 2021.
The BOC acted on the following items from the agenda.
- Approved separate contracts for Transportation in relation the Courtesy Parkway Extension and SPLOST #2A Roadway Projects
- Items 2020-478 – 2020-483 were previously seen at the last Planning and Zoning meeting and includes:
- Approval of the second reading and adoption of the ordinance requesting for a Recycling Center to crush recycled concrete and asphalt at 213, 214, 215 Camden Industrial Parkway
- Approval of text amendments for several items including items regarding Caterers and Mobile Food Vendors, Stormwater Management, and Definitions prohibiting truck stops.
- Appointed Derek Bogan as Director of Rockdale Water Resources.
- Adopted a resolution providing for The Adoption of A Tobacco Free Campus Policy Pursuant To The Georgia Smokefree Air Act of 2005; Tobacco Free Campus Policy
- Adopted the resolution for the Parks and Recreation Master Plan presented at the previous BOC Meeting.
Commissioner Sherri Washington congratulated Mr. Derek Bogan on his new role as Water Resources Director as well as made comments to congratulate President and Vice President Elect Joe Biden and Kamala Harris on their success during the election. Commissioner Washington also highlighted the Reverse Trick or Treat Event with her and Tax Commissioner Tisa Smart-Washington and how that was appreciated by the community during these times that COVID 19 is still active. She also announced the upcoming Drive in Movie at the Horse Park that her and Council Woman Connie Alsobrook will be hosting on Saturday, November 21.
Commissioner Doreen Williams discussed the importance of the Master Plan for Parks and Recreation as a tool to improve the quality of life in the County. She spoke about the election and the impact seeing Kamala Harris speak when she visited Gwinnett and congratulated the President Elect and Vice President Elect. Commissioner Williams also shared kind words and condolences to the family of Ms. Mimi Soileau who recently passed. Commissioner Williams spoke about when she was honored at the Bord of Commissioners meeting and the accomplishments she made during her lifetime.
Chairman Oz Nesbitt also congratulated the President Elect and Vice President Elect. He made comments about the record number of voters that went out to vote in Rockdale County, and how it received national recognition on the news. He commended the Board of Elections for their work during the election and how they made the process easy for the citizens of the County. He spoke of the importance of remembering we are still in a pandemic and the importance of wearing mask, hand washing and social distancing. The Chairman encouraged the community to be safe with the holiday season approaching. For his final comments he commended the Rockdale County departments for their work during these times.
Following these remarks, the Board moved into Executive Session and Chairman adjourned the meeting.
Upcoming Board of Commissioners Schedule:
FALL RECESS: November 16th – November 25, 2020 – No Board Meetings Scheduled
Thanksgiving Holidays: Thursday, November 26th and Friday, November 27, 2020 – County Offices Closed
CANCELLED: Work Session: Tuesday, December 1, 2020
Voting Session: Tuesday, December 8, 2020 at 10:00 a.m. – Second Reading and Adoption of Appropriations Ordinance – Auditorium located at 903 Main Street, Conyers, Georgia 30012 and Virtual
Check us out at www.rockdalecountyga.gov!
• • Follow Rockdale County on Social Media! • • •
Instagram @rockdalegov • Facebook rockdalegov • Twitter @rockdalegov