As Rockdale County observed Veteran Day, the Board of Commissioners announced they will launch the Veterans Transportation Program (VetTP) for low income veterans residing in Rockdale County. The program will provide transportation services to veterans needing assistance to medical appointments at the Atlanta VA Medical Hospital located in Decatur, Georgia.
VetTP is a partnership between the Rockdale County Senior Services and the Georgia Department of Veterans Services.
“The transportation program will offer qualified veterans and their families transportation services for health care appointments,” says Rockdale County Chairman Oz Nesbitt, Sr. “We are honored to provide this service to our Rockdale County veterans.”
Veterans must qualify for the VetTP through the Georgia Department of Veterans Services and must meet the following criteria:
- Be a veteran of the US Military with an honorable discharge
- Receive referral from the Rockdale office of Georgia Department of Veteran Services
- Reside in Rockdale County
- Have a Georgia Drivers’ license or State ID (photo ID)
- Have a US Department of Veterans Affairs healthcare enrollment card (photo ID)
- Complete VetTP assessment (enrollment) with Rockdale County Senior Services
The specialty wrapped van for the program was unveiled at the Veterans Day Program yesterday. The service is scheduled to begin in March 2020. Driver positions exclusively for VetTP will be posted on the Rockdale County website in the near future. Additional training will be provided for the drivers.