The Rockdale County Board of Commissioners held two meetings on Tuesday, August 6, 2019, at 10:00 a.m. kicking off with a Millage Rate Meeting addressing a few items. The meeting began with Director Miller speaking on the Resolution Setting the 2019 Millage Rate. For more information on the Resolution Setting the 2019 Millage Rate, click the link below: https://secureservercdn.net/22.214.171.124/645.7be.myftpupload.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/II..pdf
There were only two people who spoke during public comment. Nick Duva, a Rockdale County Citizen, expressed that he was confused on the Millage Rate and what the county is trying to convey about it. He also inquired about the previous mileage rate before the year 2015. Chairman Oz Nesbitt answered Mr. Duva accordingly. The Chairman expressed that the millage rate has not changed since 2015, but specific properties have gone up based upon the tax assessors and new development. The second gentleman who spoke was Allen Brewer. He shared that last week he went to the tax assessor’s office and they could not explain the formula for his tax rate. He wanted to know who he can talk to gain an answer to his question. The Chairman then encouraged that for both Mr. Duva and Mr. Brewer to contact Director Barkley, Chief Tax Assessor, to obtain answers to both of their questions.
During board comment, Commissioner Williams wanted to highlight on the public for targeting her for not paying property tax. Commissioner Williams elaborated on the reason she does not pay property tax is due to her husband being a 100% disabled veteran. Although the state allows her that exemption, she still pays other city and county taxes. Commissioner Williams final statement was to inform the public that any veteran that qualifies as 100% disabled can apply for the same property tax exemption.
The regular Board of Commissioners work session meeting began afterward. The meeting started with James Murphy, an Agriculture & Natural Resource Agent, informing the public of an event being put on by the UGA Cooperative Extension Service. The Rockdale Food & Science Fest is a FREE family-friendly festival full of interactive games & activities related to food, science, and STEAM. It will take place on Saturday, September 14, 2019, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. There will be special presentations at 11 a.m., 12 p.m., and 1 p.m. For more information, call 700-278-7373 or email email@example.com.
Following the presentation, the Board of Commissioners proceeded and reviewed the agenda for Tuesday, August 13, 2019. There were over thirty items that were presented during this work session. The following items below are the items:
- 2019-379:City of Conyers – Board of Elections – Conduct City of Conyers General Election on November 5, 2019 – $9,805
- 2019-380:Straub & Associates, Inc. – Finance – Purchase of property located at 940 Main Street, NE, Conyers, GA for Water Resources Customer Service Division – $775,000 – One Time Purchase
- 2019-381:State Properties Commission – Finance – New Lease for space occupied by the Department of Juvenile Justice located at 987 Taylor Street – $3,601.17/Monthly but increases to $3,673.19 starting 7/1/2024 – Revenue – One year with (8) eight one-year options to renew
- 2019-382:Snapping Shoals EMC – Transportation – Government Security Light Contract – Coventry Phase I Subdivision Street Lights – $186.20/Month – Indefinite term as long as street light remain in place
- 2019-383:View Point Health – Adult Accountability Courts – Change Order No. 1 to C-2017-167 – Add services for Adult Accountability Courts – Unit Price – Renew term through September 30, 2020
- 2019-384: Terminus Municipal Advisors, LLC – Stormwater Management – Municipal Advisory Services – Not to Exceed $78,000 – 12 months
- 2019-385:Aramark Correctional Services, LLC – Sheriff’s Office – Change Order No. 2 to 2017-112 – Food Service for Jail – Contract Price Increase – Renew One year until 8/31/2020
- 2019-386:Standard Office Systems (SOS) – Technology Services – Purchase of Wide Format Printer for RWR Engineering to replace current outdated plotter/printer – $8,663.55
- 2019-387:Golden Dragons, LLC – Recreation and Maintenance – Location Agreement for permission to use Costley Mill Park for filming of HBO – The Outsider, Episodes 8, 9, & 10 – Revenue $13,000 – June 21, 2019 to July 15, 2019 – RATIFICATION
- 2019-388:Random Productions, LLC – Recreation and Maintenance – Location Agreement for permission to film outside of the 4279 Haralson Mill Rd, Conyers, GA for property scenes of the HBO Lovecraft County Season 1 series – Revenue $5.000 – Wednesday, 7/17/19 – 6:30 a.m. to Saturday, 7/20/19 – 7:00 p.m. – RATIFICATION
- 2019-389:Conkle’s Tree Service, Inc. – Recreation and Maintenance – Tree Grinding – ITB #19-11 – Item 1 – $2.35 per CY grinding – One year with option to renew two (2) additional one-year periods
- 2019-390:Graham County Land Company, LLC – Recreation and Maintenance – Tree Grinding – ITB #19-11 – Item 1 – $3.95 per CY grinding/Alternate No. 1 – $5.35 per CY haul ground material/Alternate No. 2 – $14.95 per CY haul un-ground material – One year with option to renew two (2) additional one-year periods
- 2019-391:Georgia Power – Recreation and Maintenance – Underground Distribution Construction Agreement for new power service at restroom building at Wheeler Park – No cost
- 2019-392:Bennett Fire Products, Inc. – Fire Rescue – Change Order No. 2 to 2017-170 Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) – Unit Price Increase & Contract Renewal through November 13, 2020
- 2019-393: Lenovo Global Technology (United States), Inc. – Fire Rescue – IBM/Lenovo Services within the VEEAM Annual Production Maintenance Renewal – No Cost – ends 6/10/2020
- 2019-394: Atlanta Regional Commission (ARC) – Planning and Development – Memorandum of Agreement – To provide continuing, cooperative and comprehensive planning and development of Rockdale County & City of Conyers Planning & Zoning training managed & developed by the ARC – Local Match of $1000 to ARC – $500/County & $500/City – August, 2019 – January, 2020
- 2019-395: Dedication of Public Water and Sewer Agreement – Baltisse-Ackerman Conyers, LLLP
- 2019-396:An Ordinance Pursuant to the Provisions of Section 238-6 of the Code of Rockdale County, Georgia, As Amended, To Authorize a Special Use Permit for a Recycling Center Under Section 218-1 Table of Permitted Uses, at 214 Camden Industrial Parkway NW, Conyers, Georgia; To Impose Conditions Upon Said Special Use Permit; To Repeal Conflicting Ordinances; To Set an Effective Date; And For Other Purposes – First Reading
- 2019-397:An Ordinance Pursuant to the Provisions of Sections 238-6 and 218-20 of the Code of Rockdale County, Georgia, As Amended, To Authorize a Special Use Permit Following Application for Same for a 195 Foot Telecommunications Tower and Related Antennas and Equipment Located on a 0.0826 Acres Parcel of Land Located at 2905 Turner Road SW, Conyers, Georgia; To Impose Conditions Upon Said Special Use Permit; To Repeal Conflicting Ordinances; To Set an Effective Date; And For Other Purposes – First Reading
- 2019-398:An Ordinance Pursuant to the Provisions of Section 238-4 of the Code of Rockdale County, Georgia, As Amended, to Rezone Property Located at 2720 Salem Road SE, Conyers, Georgia from the MXD (Mixed Use Development) & CSD (Conservation Subdivision) Zoning District to the MXD (Mixed Use Development) District Following Application for Same; To Authorize an Amendment to the Official Zoning Map of Rockdale County, Georgia, Reflecting Said Rezoning; To Impose Conditions Upon the Amendment; To Repeal Conflicting Ordinances and for Other Purposes – Second Reading
- 2019-399: An Ordinance, Pursuant to the Provisions of Section 238-4 of the Code of Rockdale County, Georgia, As Amended, to Rezone Property Located at 1761 Klondike Road SW, Conyers, Georgia From the R-1 (Single-Family Residential) Zoning District to the CRS (Collaborative Residential Subdivision) Zoning District Following Application for Same; To Authorize an Amendment to the Official Zoning Map of Rockdale County, Georgia, Reflecting Said Rezoning; To Impose Conditions Upon the Amendment; To Repeal Conflicting Ordinances and for Other Purposes – Second Reading
- 2019-400:Expenditure Request – E911 Communications – Motorola Solutions – Computer Aided Dispatch (CAD) annual Maintenance – $61,243.72
- 2019-401:Requisition – Recreation & Maintenance – Court Markers Inc. – Tennis Court Resurfacing and install Armor Crack Repair – $15,890
- 2019-402:Requisition– Recreation & Maintenance – Conkle’s Tree Service – Tree grinding at Recycling Center – $33,370
- 2019-403:Requisition– Stormwater – Old Castle Precast – Sugar Hill Lane Stormwater Pipe Replacement project – $52,400.92
- 2019-404: Requisition– Stormwater – Raftelis Consulting – Financial Planning Services – $70,000
- 2019-405: Requisition– Technology Services – United Pump and Controls – Software upgrade to Fuel Management system – $59,389.50
- 2019-406:Requisition– Water Resources– IPR Southeast – Manhole and Pipe rehab – $546,504.50
- 2019-407: Surplus – Fire & Rescue
- 2019-408: Surplus – Juvenile
- 2019-409:Surplus – Recreation & Maintenance (Senior Services 2)
- 2019-410: Surplus – Water Resources
- 2019-411:Resolution for Municipal, County, State, or other Governmental Entity and Certification of Resolution for ALL United Community Bank Accounts – Authorized Signers
- 2019-412: Amendment to the Non-Discrimination and Anti-Harassment Policy #2006-4-17 – Ratification
Following the presentation of the regular agenda, the Board Commissioners held public comment. There was only one man who spoke during public comment. George Kelecheck, a well-known Rockdale county citizen, congratulated Director Allen for the contract with Pro Cutters for the beautification of Rockdale County. He also stated that he was pleased with the results of his meeting with Chief Hambrick regarding his questions about stormwater struggles and how the county is going to solve them. The Board addressed and commented accordingly. If you would like to know their responses, click the link at the end of the article.
During Board Comment, the Board made their comments briefly. Commissioner Washington and Williams both shared that as a community, we need to pray for Dayton, Ohio and El Paso, Texas due to the recent massacres. They also wanted to remind the public that school is back in session and be wary of children and busses on your everyday commute. The Chairman stated to pray for Dayton and El Paso as well. He also shared that he suggest Rockdale County Citizens to come out to the Food Truck and Artisan Festival. Applications for food trucks and other goods are open until the end of the month. A business that chooses to apply must be licensed and certified, for any questions call Kellie Littlefield at 770-278-7100 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
After Board Comment, the Board of Commissioners did not have an executive session. Since there was no further business, Chairman Nesbitt adjourned the meeting. To watch this meeting click this link: https://vimeo.com/352312173.The next Board of Commissioners meeting will be next week on Tuesday, August 13, 2019, at 10:00 a.m. at the Assembly Hall located at 901 Main Street, Conyers, Georgia 30012.