The Rockdale County Board of Commissioners held several meetings on Tuesday, July 23, 2019 at 9 a.m. kicking off with a Zoning Public Hearing Meeting addressing a few items throughout the community.
The meeting began with the approval of the presented agenda and the minutes from the May 28, 2019 Zoning Public Hearing. Although there was no old business to be addressed, there were two items in the new business. The first item being the Rezoning 2019-09, in which the applicants are requesting to rezone this property from R-1 Single Family Residential to CRS (Collaborative Residential Subdivision). A few members of the local community shared their thoughts and opinions of the proposed new development during public comment. Betty Joiner spoke on behalf of some of the residents surrounding the development, expressing their fear due to the fact that there are already two unfinished developments in the same area. She stated that the impact will be more negative than positive with the continuing cycle of false or unfulfilled promises that the developers have presented. She desired to know how the developers will handle the problems that come with the presented “progress” and will this development degrade their property value.
Roy Skinner, who is representing the Walker Lake community and himself, lives down the street from the proposed development. His community concern is that with the new proposed zoning for the development will affect $150,000 water dam that was put in place to protect the community. He proposes that amount of water will overflow and destroy the dam due to the increase of development in that area. Not only will the homes lose the flooding buffer zone, but the new zoning will affect the water quality of the people. Others such as Jack and Joan Edwards, Tim Grim, and more expressed their concerns.
After public comment John Nix, who is representing VI Land Sales (applicants), said a short statement addressing some of the concerns. Chairman Nesbitt then spoke on the matter and expressed many key points. The Chairman stated that he had seen first-hand what was going on at the property site. He stated that the development was already green-lighted as R1 regardless of this meeting but, the developers are being considerate to take into account the local Rockdale County citizens. The Chairman highly suggested Mr. Nicks to communicate with community to answer all of their questions. He stated at some point the property will get developed. The Chairman brought attention to Todd Cosby who was in attendance in order to hear what is going on regarding stormwater and to help find a solution. The Chairman then thanked all parties involved for attending the meeting and closed the matter.
There was only one report presented and the Planning Commission and Board of Commissioners were acknowledge for receiving Adjustment Training Grant. Shortly after, the meeting was adjourned.
The regular BOC meeting began afterward, starting with the Invocation and Pledge of Allegiance conducted by Reverend Jane Mitchell Weston of Saint Simons Episcopal Church. Presently after, the Board of Commissioners acknowledge a few organizations and announcements in the community. There was a presentation on the success of the Boys and Girls Club, Rockdale County Fire-Rescue was acknowledged for being the recipient of the Red Cross Fire Education Award, and Rockdale County Planning and Development announced the Inaugural Food Truck and Artisas Festival. We, Rockdale County, appreciate and acknowledge all the accolades and announcements the were presented at the meeting.
Following the presentation, the Board of Commissioners proceeded and unanimously approved the meeting agenda, the meeting minutes from June 25, 2019, and the consent agenda presented. Regarding the regular agenda, there were more than thirty items that were approved during this voting/ work session. The following items below are the approved items:
- 2019-342: Georgia Time Recorder Co., Inc. – Clerk of Courts – Date Time Stamps with Analog Clocks (6) – $1,279.50 – 7/1/20 – 6/30/2020
- 2019-343: Nelco Architecture, Inc. – Recreation and Maintenance – Courthouse Security Risk Needs Assessment – RFQ No. 18-34 – $86,851 w/$10,000 Contingency – 6 months
- 2019-344: Lichty Commercial Construction, Inc. – Recreation and Maintenance – Johnson Park Gymnasium – ITB #19-04 – $2,802,325 – One year
- 2019-345: Adric Samuel – Recreation and Maintenance – Senior Services – Yoga Instructor at Olivia Haydel Senior Center – 70/30 split – 8/1/2019 – 6/30/2020 with option to renew three (3) additional one-year periods
- 2019-346: Golden Dragons, LLC – Recreation and Maintenance – Location Agreement for permission to use Costley Mill Park for filming of HBO – The Outsider, Episodes 8, 9, & 10 – Revenue $40,500 – June 4, 2019 – July 15, 2020
- 2019-347: Atlanta Regional Commission – Recreation and Maintenance – Senior Services – Change Order No. 1 to C-2018-102 – Aging Subgrant – Additional $1,406.44 – 7/1/18 – 6/30/19 –
- 2019-348: Crown Castle – Fire Rescue – Change Order No. 15 to C-2007-46 – Consent letter requesting permission for the Smyrna Road Public Safety Tower so that T-Mobile can install and upgrade equipment located on the tower – No cost
- 2019-349: North America Fire Equipment Company, Inc. (NAFECO) – Fire Rescue – Change Order No. 1 to C-2017-169 – Fire Protective Clothing Item Numbers 1-6 and 21 – Increase in Unit Cost – Renew one year until November 13, 2020
- 2019-350: North America Fire Equipment Company, Inc. (NAFECO) – Fire Rescue – Change Order No. 1 to C-2017-132 – Fire Uniforms, Item Numbers 1 – 8 and 12 – 16 – Increase in Unit Cost – Renew one year until September 18, 2020
- 2019-351: CDM Smith, Inc. – Water Resources – Change Order No. 1 to C-2019-15 – Construction Management Services Snapping Shoals WWTP Construction Project – Modify CDM’s current scope to include CDM’s Engineer’s Certification of Construction to Georgia EPD – Additional $42,906 – Estimated 25 months from beginning of project
- 2019-352: Wellpath, LLC (fka Correct Care Solutions, LLC) – Sheriff’s Office – Change Order No. 4 to C-2015-75 – Inmate Healthcare – $1,668,890.88/12 months – 7/28/2019 – 7/27/2020
- 2019-353: Marchman Consulting – Planning & Development – Provide Education Classes “Responsible Alcohol Sales and Service (RASS)” – $30 per attendee/per session – 36 months
- 2019-354: The Collaborative Firm, LLC – Planning and Development – Sigman Road Study – RFP No. 19-09 – $44,500 – Nine (9) months
- 2019-355: Hospital Authority of Rockdale County (HARC) – Juvenile Court – HARC Grant – Human Trafficking Victim Assistance – $15,000 – 7/1/2019 – 6/30/2020 – RATIFICATION
- 2019-356: Criminal Justice Coordinating Council – Juvenile Court – Juvenile Justice Incentive Grant – $208,467 – July 1, 2019 – June 30, 2020
- 2019-357: Georgia Department of Juvenile Justice – Juvenile Court – Evening Reporting Center Grant – $42/youth/day per diem – July 1, 2019 – June 30, 2020
- 2019-358: Pittman Construction Company – Transportation – Change Order No. 3 to C-2018-145 – 2018 LMIG Resurfacing – Additional $5,000 to fund close out of project – Extend contract term to July 31, 2019
- 2019-359: Wolverton & Associates, Inc. – Transportation – Change Order No. 1 to C-2018-173 – Salem Gate Market Plan Review – Addition of deceleration lane into the site and signal design at the main entrance – Additional $11,700 – One year
- 2019-360: Relias Learning, LLC – Sheriff’s Office – Change Order No. 3 to C-2013-159-E20 – Online learning system that provides tools needed to distribute, implement and track jail training initiatives – $9,534.70 – 12 months
- 2019-361: Corporate Environmental Risk Management (CERM) – Stormwater Management – Stormwater Management Engineering & Project Management Support Services – $295,360 year – One year
- 2019-362: Comcast Business – Technology Services – Change Order No. 7 to C-2018-111 – Transfer circuit from South Tower to new location plus new installation of circuit at Coroner’s Building – Additional $430.92 Monthly – 60 months
- 2019-363: Edgewood Partners Insurance Center, Inc. (EPIC) and The Michael Gasses Agency, Inc. – Talent Management – Employee Benefits Insurance Broker & Consulting Services – RFP No. 18-24 – July 31, 2019 – July 31, 2022
- 2019-364: Cigna Onsite Health, LLC. – Talent Management – Exercise for Busy Bodies Lunch & Learn – July 16, 2019 – RATIFICATION
- 2019-365: Zoning Case #2019-14: Zoning Case #2019-15: An Ordinance Pursuant to the Provisions of Section 238-4 of the Code of Rockdale County, Georgia, As Amended to Rezone Property Located at 2431 Iris Drive SE, Conyers, Georgia From M-1 (Limited Industrial) to C-1 (Local Commercial) Zoning District Following Application for Same; To Authorize an Amendment to the Official Zoning Map of Rockdale County, Georgia, Reflecting Said Rezoning; To Impose Conditions Upon the Amendment; To Repeal Conflicting Ordinances and for Other Purposes – First Reading
- 2019-366: Zoning Case #2019-15: An Ordinance Pursuant to the Provisions of Section 238-4 of the Code of Rockdale County, Georgia, As Amended to Rezone Property Located at 1500 Sigman Road NW, Conyers, Georgia From M-1 (Limited Industrial) to C-2 (General Commercial) Zoning District Following Application for Same; To Authorize an Amendment to the Official Zoning Map of Rockdale County, Georgia, Reflecting Said Rezoning; To Impose Conditions Upon the Amendment; To Repeal Conflicting Ordinances and for Other Purposes – First Reading
- 2019-367: Zoning Case #2019-16: An Ordinance Pursuant to the Provisions of Section 238-4 of the Code of Rockdale County, Georgia, As Amended to Rezone Property Located at 1586 Rockbridge Road NW, Conyers, Georgia From M-1 (Limited Industrial) to C-2 (General Commercial) Zoning District Following Application for Same; To Authorize an Amendment to the Official Zoning Map of Rockdale County, Georgia, Reflecting Said Rezoning; To Impose Conditions Upon the Amendment; To Repeal Conflicting Ordinances and for Other Purposes – First Reading
- 2019-368: Expenditure Request – Technology Services – Velosio LLC – Annual Accounting Software Maintenance – $20,471.90
- 2019-369: Requisition– Fire Rescue – NAFECO – Fire Uniforms – $19,797.30
- 2019-370: Requisition– Recreation & Maintenance – Elite Truck and Auto Repair – Engine Replacement WA230 – $17,758.79
- 2019-371: Requisition– Sheriff’s Office – Com-Tech Communications – Security Infrastructure – $19,560.95
- 2019-372: Requisition– Stormwater – The Dickerson Group – Drainage Improvement Project – $444,882- RATIFICATION
- 2019-374: Requisition– Technology Services – CDW-G – Microsoft Enterprise Agreement Renewal – $236,430.25
- 2019-375: Requisition– Water Resources– Allan Virgil Ford– 2020 Ford Cargo Van – $23,443
- 2019-376: Requisition – Water Resources – Scotwood Industries, Inc. – Solar Salt – $38,272.50
- 2019-377: Surplus – Superior Court – Judge Irwin
- 2019-378: Resolution Creating a Street Lights District for Coventry Phase I – $67.71 Per Lot Annually
Following the regular agenda, the Board Commissioners held public comment. There were several people in the community who spoke during public comment. The issues discussed were concerning the millage rate video, stormwater fees, the county court house and more. The Board addressed each question accordingly. If you would like to know their responses click the link at the end of the article.
During board comment, the Board made their comments briefly. Commissioner Washington and Williams shared how they both enjoyed the Red, White, & Boom! at the Old Town Conyers Pavilion on the 3rd of July. The Chairman then thanked everyone for attending the meetings throughout the day and encouraged several to watch the Rockdale Millage Rate video. To watch the video click this link: https://vimeo.com/349669101
After Board Comment, the Board of Commissioners did not have an executive session. Since there was no further business, Chairman Nesbitt adjourned the meeting. To watch this meeting click this link: https://vimeo.com/349744892. The next meeting, the Millage Rate Public Hearing, will be next week on Tuesday, July 30, 2019, at 6:30 p.m. at the Assembly Hall located at 901 Main Street, Conyers, Georgia 30012.