FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
October 5, 2017
The Rockdale County Parks & Recreation basketball program has formed a community partnership with the Atlanta Hawks. The Atlanta Hawks uses its junior program to give youth the ultimate basketball experience. The program’s goal is to support the positive benefits attained through the sport of basketball by emphasizing sportsmanship, respect, teamwork, and healthy living.
Jason Redmond, Deputy Director of Parks and Recreation Operations for Rockdale County, says the Jr. Hawks program will make a positive difference in our community by promoting self-confidence and creativity among youth.
“The program provides leadership development that empowers children to achieve their highest potential,” said Redmond. “Exposing kids to different experiences builds character, self-esteem, and respect for others.”
Each Rockdale team will be outfitted in Atlanta Jr. Hawks uniforms. Membership also includes a free coaching clinic which will save the county about $800. Many of the instructors who teach the clinic are current or former NBA coaches.
Involvement with the NBA includes two free tickets to a Hawks game for all Rockdale children in the program.
During the course of the program, Rockdale County children will receive guidance in:
- Fundamentals – Teaching basic basketball skill development in a positive, encouraging and fun environment.
- Hard Work – Emphasizing how to compete with good behavior and an excellent attitude.
- Respect – Exhibiting a positive approach towards players, coaches, parents, officials and teammates.
- Sportsmanship – Playing a fair, ethical and honest competition.
- Teamwork – Working together in a supportive manner for a common goal.
- Healthy Living – Regular exercise, better health outcomes, greater energy levels, and enhanced classroom performance.
Registration is $85 per player. Register in person at the Johnson Park Recreation Center, 1781 Ebenezer Road, or online at https://secure.rec1.com/GA/rockdale-county/catalog. Registration is open until October 30.
For more information, please contact Recreation Facilities Manager Franklin Hamilton at (770) 278-7243.